Maryland: Educated workforce
Maryland is home to a highly skilled labor force, including the second highest concentration of professional and technical workers among the states, and the highest proportion of doctoral scientists and engineers in the nation.
Maryland also encourages business growth with its venture capital investments, tax credits, direct loans, grants and loan guarantees. These programs foster an environment that encourages expansions and job creation. Maryland is home to more than 45 incubators, accelerators and co-working spaces, offering early stage companies shared resources, business assistance and access to equipment and facilities.
The state’s diversified economy is rooted in high technology, biosciences and services, as well as revitalized manufacturing and international trade.
- Its outstanding logistics and transportation infrastructure includes highway, air, and one of the nation’s busiest international deep-water ports.
- Commercial and industrial properties are available for research and development, office, warehouse/distribution, heavy/light industrial and manufacturing uses.
- Maryland’s K–12 public school system ranks fourth in the nation. Newsweek reports that Maryland is home to 15 of the 500 best STEM schools in the nation.
- According to U.S. News and World Report, Maryland ranks second based on the percentage of public high schools ranked in the top 25 percent nationally.
- U.S. News and World Report named The University of Maryland, Baltimore County the nation’s ninth most innovative school in 2019. The Chronicle of Higher Education in 2019 ranks Salisbury University first in the nation among public institutions for having the highest percentage of female recipients of bachelor’s degrees in computer science.
Maryland AMP member
In addition to the strong location advantages of Maryland, businesses that locate in AMP member communities enjoy a diverse mix of reliable electric power supply at affordable rates, with a voice in local policies.
To learn more about Berlin, please click here or contact us.